- Complete the Foster Application.
- Phone interview will be conducted after application has been received.
(please allow up to 7 days for processing)
- A home evaluation will be scheduled and conducted.
- If you have current pets, they must be updated on vaccinations including Bordatella (given at least 7 days prior to rescue Dane arriving in the home).
- Before a Great Dane comes to your home you will need the following supplies. If you do not have these supplies GDRST will help you in obtaining them.
Bowls- separate from your pets.
Toys, and treats
Leash and collar
- Once there is a Great Dane that needs to be put into a foster home, we will contact you and see if you are available to foster.
- If you are able to foster, the Great Dane will be transported to your home.
- If you have another pet, it would be good to keep them in separate rooms and socialize them slowly.
Note: as rescue becomes better, if sick, different behaviors can become apparent, such as food aggression, dominance competition, etc.
- The rescued Great Dane should be taken to a vet on the Low Cost Vet List as soon as possible. There you should get an overall checkup and the necessary shots as shown on the Veterinary Services (PDF) section.
- If Heartworm positive look into treatment
- If not Heartworm positive, look into when a spay/neuter can be scheduled
- While the rescue is at your home he/she should be learning how to get into a crate, basic commands as sit, stay, and lay down, and beginnings of walking on a leash.
- Once the rescue has been spay/neutered and a potential adoptive family is looked at, the rescue will go with the Home Evaluators to see the new home.
- If it is a match then the rescue will be adopted.
- If not, other potential homes are looked at.
Also in the "Foster" section:
8:00 am CAP’s Howl-O-Ween Dog Walk & Cos... @ LaCenterra Shopping Center
CAP’s Howl-O-Ween Dog Walk & Cos... @ LaCenterra Shopping Center
Oct 13 @ 8:00 am – 11:00 am
Come see GDRST and some of the dogs in our program at CAP’s Annual Howl-O-Ween Dog Walk & Costume Contest. This is a family friendly (including dogs) event. You and your pet will enjoy a[...]
1:00 pm Meet & Greet @ Petco Tomball
Meet & Greet @ Petco Tomball
Oct 13 @ 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Come out to our monthly meet & greet at Petco Tomball!! Our experienced volunteers can answer your questions regarding GDRST, Great Danes as a breed, how adoption works, how to get involved, etc… We will[...]
10:00 am Bridgeland’s 10th Annual Howl-O-... @ Josey Lake Park
Bridgeland’s 10th Annual Howl-O-... @ Josey Lake Park
Oct 27 @ 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
The 10th Annual Howl-O-Ween Fest is set for October 27 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Josey Lake, Bridgeland’s newest amenity, conveniently located off Bridgeland Creek Parkway between Fry Road and the Grand Parkway. Last[...]