- Complete the Foster Application.
- Phone interview will be conducted after application has been received.
(please allow up to 7 days for processing)
- A home evaluation will be scheduled and conducted.
- If you have current pets, they must be updated on vaccinations including Bordatella (given at least 7 days prior to rescue Dane arriving in the home).
- Before a Great Dane comes to your home you will need the following supplies. If you do not have these supplies GDRST will help you in obtaining them.
Bowls- separate from your pets.
Toys, and treats
Leash and collar
- Once there is a Great Dane that needs to be put into a foster home, we will contact you and see if you are available to foster.
- If you are able to foster, the Great Dane will be transported to your home.
- If you have another pet, it would be good to keep them in separate rooms and socialize them slowly.
Note: as rescue becomes better, if sick, different behaviors can become apparent, such as food aggression, dominance competition, etc.
- The rescued Great Dane should be taken to a vet on the Low Cost Vet List as soon as possible. There you should get an overall checkup and the necessary shots as shown on the Veterinary Services (PDF) section.
- If Heartworm positive look into treatment
- If not Heartworm positive, look into when a spay/neuter can be scheduled
- While the rescue is at your home he/she should be learning how to get into a crate, basic commands as sit, stay, and lay down, and beginnings of walking on a leash.
- Once the rescue has been spay/neutered and a potential adoptive family is looked at, the rescue will go with the Home Evaluators to see the new home.
- If it is a match then the rescue will be adopted.
- If not, other potential homes are looked at.
Also in the "Foster" section:
1:00 pm Meet & Greet @ Petco
Meet & Greet @ Petco
Oct 14 @ 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Come join us at Petco. We will have some dogs from our program that are available for adoption that you can get up close and personal with. Volunteers will also be able to answer any[...]
10:00 am 9th Annual Bridgeland’s Howl-O-W... @ Oak Meadow Park
9th Annual Bridgeland’s Howl-O-W... @ Oak Meadow Park
Oct 21 @ 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
GDRST is thrilled to be participating in Bridgeland’s Howl-O-Ween event again this year. This is truly one of our favorite events. Admission is free as well as most of the activities. Some venues request a[...]